Friday, July 9, 2010
Teaching a Tomato Canning Class...
Big excitement! I have been asked to substitute teach a tomato canning class at our local food coop’s learning center! After the initial panic – how would I put together a lesson plan? what recipes would I use? what sort of equipment do they have in their kitchen? – I settled into the business of actually putting it together. First, what recipes…well obviously plain, canned tomatoes, then perhaps a nice marinara sauce and last…hmmm…I know tomato jam!
Recipe for 4 – ½ pintjars
4 lbs - Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 Cups - Granulated Sugar
¾ Cup – Brown Sugar
¾ Cup – Cider Vinegar
1 Whole Medium Onion, chopped medium/fine
1 ½ tsp. – Salt
½ tsp – Ground Allspice
1. Prepare jars & lids
2. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, then into ice water
3. Peel and core tomatoes, cut as noted above
4. Put all ingredients in a 3 quart sauce pan.
5. Bring to a gentle boil
6. Cook at gentle boil until thickened, aprox. 40 minutes
7. Fill jars with hot jam, leaving ½” head space
8. Remove air bubbles
9. Wipe edge of can with clean damp towel
10. Put lid on jar and finger tighten ring on jar
11. Process ½ pint jars for 15 minutes
at 9:27 PM